Friday, March 16, 2012

What has Charlotte been eating?

What a good question! The answer: many delicious things.
A ham and mozzarella sandwich from the local boulangerie.

A lasagna type thing from when I and another girl cooked dinner for the French lady I eat with.

My first Croque Monsieur. It turns out that a ham and melty cheese sandwich is really good. Who knew?

Tuna boats. It's difficult finding Cheddar, so I substituted alternating strips of Gouda and Mimolette. It was pretty good.
A cucumber and apple salad with vinaigrette and Brebis (sheep's cheese). It is fantastic. The apples are sweet and the vinaigrette is tangy and the Brebis is salty and crumbly (a bit like Feta, but milder) and oh so creamy. I think it is my current favorite thing to eat, as it is delicious, but it is a salad, so you feel the delightful smugness from eating healthily.

My attempt at shepherd's pie. I think I overdid it on the vegetables, but that is clearly not a problem.

After I put it in the oven, I realized that I had forgotten the peas! However, everything was fine-- I had them on the side. Crisis averted

The other day, my program organized a cheese tasting at a local fromagerie.

Inside his "cave" where the fromagier ages all the cheese himself.


The difference between an unripe Camembert and a properly aged one. See how the properly aged one is all squishy?


A goat cheese we sampled with fig and lavender jam.

Cutting some Comte with wire.

A piece of Roquefort. I learned that I don't really like cheeses where you can taste the mold.

I know what you're thinking now... "Oh no! Have we reached the end already?" Well, never fear, a second part is on its way!

2 comments:

  1. Charlotte,
    bon appetit! It looks like you are having lots of cheesy goodness. Colette says never trust a young woman who doesn't like cheese, so that's a good sign...
    Dr. Bonin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm a trustworthy person, Dr. Bonin :)

      Delete