Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Food, Glorious Food

So this is rather embarrassing. I looked through the pictures I have taken since I last posted and they have all been of food. That is not an exaggeration-- every single one has been of food. I guess you can see where my priorities lie.
Prepare yourselves, dear readers, for an onslaught of food photos.

It was snowing on the produce outside a store and no one seemed to care. I thought it was pretty.

This is the best lunch ever. No question. A fresh baguette smeared with a hefty chunk of Brie and a Fuji apple. The creamy saltiness of the Brie is perfectly balanced by the sweet juiciness of the apple. And fresh baguettes are crispy food of the gods.

I am diversifying my taste in snack food. Emma, you have converted me to salt and vinegar flavored munchies.

One interesting quirk in the French culture is that they sell mini slices of pre-toasted bread. They are quite yummy and surprisingly versatile. You can use them as crackers or bread. Okay, maybe not that versatile, but it is a good source of bread that doesn't go stale within 24 hours (a downside to the otherwise perfect baguettes).

I have discovered that I quite like cooking for myself and I'm not horrible at it! This is chicken teriyaki stir-fried rice. I know, I know, it's not terribly French, but on the other hand, it has five different vegetables in it! Five!

I made mini-pizzas with some little pita pockets that I bought from the discount grocery store. There were actually pretty good!

This is just me showing off how wonderful and healthy I am: poached chicken breast, steamed broccoli and couscous.

And to completely contradict the previous statement, here is my dessert. Microwaved chocolate cake from the discount grocery store (microwaving makes it warm and melty and delicious) with plain yogurt and strawberry jam on top. Very yummy.

3 comments:

  1. 1- That is an awesome picture

    2- mmmmmm brie, sounds delicious

    3- Success!

    4- Why do all your meals look so yummy? Even the simple ones!

    5, 6, 7- ^dittoed

    8- mmmmmmmm that almost looks like a bakery product! Nice presentation.

    Thanks for the food post!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1- Thank you
    2- It really was. I highly recommend it. Apparently, the rind of the Brie is good for the digestion. Fun fact and an excuse to eat more of it!
    3- Yes, congratulations, etc.
    4-7 - It's my natural magnetism and allure, which gets transmitted into the food as I cook it and is then captured by my camera :)
    8- Why, thank you! It tasted like it had come from a bakery, but with the added smugness of me feeling healthy (for having plain yogurt).

    I'm glad you enjoyed it. I can almost guarantee that this will not be the last food post I make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Charlotte, you really do put us all to shame you know. I'm jealous of your culinary excursions! Irish food is, well, rather boring!

    ReplyDelete