Monday, January 23, 2012

Aix-cursions

On Sunday, the group went on its first excursion to the area around Aix. We hopped on a tour bus and went to the town of Isle sur la Sorgue, which was a lovely little village with a fascinating market. You could find almost anything there. There was food, spices, clothes, books, and lots of touristy trinkets, all tucked away in winding little streets.










Isle sur la Sorgue is called the Venice of France, because there is a river running all the way around the town, with lots of bridges over it. Up to the 20th century, the town used waterwheels to power paper and fabric factories (although I didn't see any).





It might be the Venice of France, but I think they would have a hard time getting any gondolas under that bridge.

Then, we went to the source of the Sorgue River, Fonatine de Vaucluse. It was the spring, up in the hills. The spring itself wasn't terribly impressive, but the river flowing down was. The water was so clear! It was absolutely gorgeous. 


We also went to Gorde, which has been called one of the prettiest villages in France. It was very cute. On the way there, we stopped for an incredible view, which really took my breath away. The day was lovely and so clear. You could see for miles. 




On the way back to Aix, we stopped at a few more villages and at a bridge that was built in 3 B.C.
I was getting pretty tired at that point, so I didn't take any more pictures. When we were just outside Aix, we must have hit rush hour, as the traffic was terrible! Still, I managed to get home in time for dinner (not terribly difficult, as I cooked for myself).


In other news, this morning I went grocery shopping in search of peanut butter and Ramen, to satiate some odd cravings. Yes, I know, I'm in France and I'm searching for Ramen. There is something definitely wrong with me. While I didn't find authentic Ramen, the local brand is called "LoveMe," which amused me greatly.

I also bought a baguette for lunch. It cost about $1 and was so fresh from the oven that I had to keep tossing it from hand to hand to stop my fingers burning. Yum!

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow that looks so awesome! It looks exactly like I imagined a village in France to look like haha. But seriously, that's cool that you get to see so much awesome scenery.

    And the ramen XD Do keep telling us about the food you get. I'm always curious what there is to eat in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear this blog may devolve into pictures of what I eat with a few words written around them, haha.

      Delete
  2. Did you try any Lavender Ice Cream in Fontaine? ;)
    Looks like you are having fun.

    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't reply sooner Izzy! I didn't get a chance to try any lavender ice cream in Fontaine. We arrived there around lunch time on Sunday, so most businesses were shut.

      Delete
  3. sorry I fell behind while I was sick, but I already enjoy your blog and it certainly lets you load more pictures than mine every did! I don't blame you for the ramen - good stuff. And you look so cute in your pictures I miss you all the more. By the way, nice trick on Emma with the hidden you-know-what. I was there when she discovered it - hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even worry about it! I'm so glad you're okay now! That ramen was pretty yummy, haha. Oh, thank you :) I miss you guys too.

      Oh gosh, I wish I could have seen her face when she found it. I'm sure it was amazing!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete